Haworth West End was formed in 1900 from the Young Men's Class at the Sunday School as the Haworth West Lane Baptist Cricket Club. Amongst those who played a prominent part in its formation was Mrs Angus Crowther (ex-Deputy Lady Mayoress of Bradford), who, at the time, was a teacher in the Sunday School.
The first season, the Club played in a field behind Hoyle Farm. In 1901 and 1902 they played at Long Bridge before joining with Mytholmes Mission and playing on the Springfield ground on alternate Saturdays.
In 1906, through the kindness and generosity of Mr Kershaw Barrett, the Club moved to the field at West End which has been the Club's home ever since.
For many years the Club played in the Keighley & District League, winning the Championship in in 1913. The 1914 - 1918 War came and took its toll of the leading players, and it was a tremendous task getting two teams together again. Some really willing workers raised, by voluntary subscription, £170 to build a pavilion, which was opened in 1921 and can be seen in the photographs at our Gallery page. In 1923 the Club successfully applied to enter the West Bradford League.
The Club continued to grow steadily over the years and in 1969 it changed its name. Because of the ever increasing costs in running a club, fund raising was of primary importance. One of the most favored and most successful methods of raising funds was the Christmas Raffle. However the Baptist Church opposed this as a form of gambling and it was this that forced the Club to relinquish its connections with the Church and later that year the Club was renamed Haworth West End Cricket Club.
In 1970 and in much need of repair, the old pavilion was pulled down and a new wooden pavilion with veranda put in its place. The Club had many successes during the 1970's, not least a young lad by the name of Peter Hartley. This youngster was so good in the juniors that he was soon showing the senior players how to Bowl. The rest is history. Peter was lucky enough to have been spotted by talent scouts and was soon on his way to play Professional Cricket with Yorkshire where he proved to be one of their most successful bowlers in recent years before heading off to Hampshire where he retired from the game at the end of the 2000 season. Peter is now one of our most promissing First Class Umpires and is now umpiring at international level. With several international one-day matches under his belt it looks likely that he will be selected to umpire some of the big Test Matches in the near future.
In 1979 Haworth West End came out of the West Bradford League after 56 happy years and entered the Craven & District Cricket League where in 1993 they became 2nd Division Champions after a final match thriller. A new stone pavilion too was built after receiving a grant from the Sports Council and is still in use today.
Haworth West End Cricket Club has a long and interesting history. The year 2000 marked the Centenary Year for the Club and this was celebrated with a special event. But we should not forget the efforts of all of those fine men and women who went before us in helping the club to achieve a one hundred year history and it is up to us all at West End to lead it into the next one hundred years.